1. Fill in the blanks with the Simple Present Subjunctive of the verbs shown in brackets. For example:
They insisted that she _____ at once. (to come)
They insisted that she come at once.
The proposal that she ______ us has merit. (to meet)
The proposal that she meet us has merit.
1. He suggested that I _________ ready by eight o'clock. (to be)
2. We request that she _________ the window. (to open)
3. They demanded that he _________ the room. (to leave)
4. I will ask that she _____________ me. (to accompany)
5. They recommended that he _________ to Bermuda. (to fly)
6. The request that we ______ ready to leave at six is a nuisance. (to be)
7. The recommendation that she ______ a holiday was carried out. (to take)
8. It is necessary that you _________ able to come with us. (to be)
9. They asked that we _________ standing. (to remain)
10. The requirement that he _________ work will be hard to meet. (to find)
11. It is important that he _________ everything he can. (to learn)
12. The demand that she __________ the report has been carried out.
2. Complete each of the following sentences with the Past Perfect
Subjunctive of the verb shown in brackets. For example:
They wished they ___ not ____. (to come)
They wished they had not come.
I wish I ________ ready on time. (to be)
I wish I had been ready on time.
Will she wish she __________ her bicycle? (to ride)
Will she wish she had ridden her bicycle?
1. I wish I ______ not ____________ the answers. (to lose)
2. They wished they ______ not _____________ the appointment. (to forget)
3. He will wish he __________________ us the book. (to show)
4. Will they wish we __________________ them some food? (to give)
5. We wish it _______________ yesterday. (to snow)
6. She wished she ______ not _________ the window. (to open)
7. I wished I _______________ the news. (to hear)
8. You wish you _______________ what to do. (to know)
3. Complete each of the following sentences with the Simple Past Subjunctive of the verb shown in brackets. For example:
He wished he ____ able to do it. (to be)
He wished he were able to do it.
I wish I ______ with you. (to agree)
I wish I agreed with you.
They will wish they _____ time to come. (to have)
They will wish they had time to come.
1. I wish it _________ possible to finish the work tonight. (to be)
2. Will he wish he ______ ready? (to be)
3. She wished she _________ how to sing. (to know)
4. We wish they ____________ to come with us. (to want)
5. You wished you ___________ better. (to feel)
6. They will wish it _________ warmer. (to be)
7. Does he wish he ____________ younger? (to be)
8. I wish I _________ the subject more interesting. (to find)
4. Complete the following sentences, using the indicated verbs in the Simple conjugation with would. For example:
They wished the sun ___________. (to shine)
They wished the sun would shine.
Does she wish it __________? (to snow)
Does she wish it would snow?
You will wish the bell _________. (to ring)
You will wish the bell would ring.
1. They wished she __________________ the arrangements. (to make)
2. He will wish you __________________ him. (to help)
3. She wishes the mail _______________. (to come)
4. We wished they _________________. (to hurry)
5. You will wish the door _________________. (to open)
6. They wish we _________________ for them. (to wait)
7. I wish you _________________ to me. (to write)
8. Will she wish you _______________ her? (to join)
5. Paying attention to the underlined adverbs indicating time, complete each of the following sentences with the correct form of the verb shown in brackets. Use the Past Perfect Subjunctive, the Simple Past Subjunctive, or the Simple conjugation with would, depending on whether the time of the action referred to in the subordinate clause is earlier than, the same as, or later than, the time of making the wish. For example:
We wished they _________ us earlier. (to call)
We wished they had called us earlier.
She wishes she ____ in Rome now.
She wishes she were in Rome now.
I wish you __________ with us tomorrow. (to come)
I wish you would come with us tomorrow.
1. I wish he ___________ here now. (to be)
2. I wish that you _____________ here yesterday. (to be)
3. We wish you ________________ tomorrow. (to come)
4. You will wish you ______________ earlier. (to leave)
5. They wished he _________________ with them the next day. (to come)
6. We wish you ________________ yesterday. (to arrive)
7. I wish that he ______________ us next year. (to visit)
8. She wishes that she ___________ at home now. (to be)
9. You wish that he ______________ you last week. (to help)
10. He will always wish he ____________ rich. (to be)
11. The boy wished that he ____________ the competition the next day. (to win)
12. She will wish she _____________ the arrangements earlier. (to make)
13. I wish the weather ____________ warmer now. (to be)
14. We always wished we ____________ fluent in other languages. (to be)
15. They wish he ________________ them next week. (to telephone)
6. For each of the following sentences, rewrite the subordinate clause, using the form in which the word if is omitted. For example:
If I were in your position, I would pay close attention.
Were I in your position, I would pay close attention.
If it had been raining, we would have used our umbrellas.
Had it been raining, we would have used our umbrellas.
1. If he were here, he would lend us his car.
2. If I had remembered their address, I would have sent them a card.
3. If we were not waiting for a telephone call, we would go downtown.
4. If they had recognized her, they would have spoken to her.
5. If I had been intending to go shopping, I would have let you know.
6. If you had seen the movie, you would have liked it.
7. If it were not snowing, we would go out.
8. If he had been shoveling the walk, we would have seen him.
7. Complete the following sentences, using the indicated verbs in the Simple conjugation with would. For example:
We __________ if we were ready. (to come)
We would come if we were ready.
_____ you _____ more if you had time? (to travel)
Would you travel more if you had time?
If they saw us, they _____ not _________ us. (to recognize)
If they saw us, they would not recognize us.
_____ you not ____ glad if you were rich? (to be)
Would you not be glad if you were rich?
1. If we were hitchhiking, ________ you ________ to pick us up? (to stop)
2. If we waited for him, we ________ not ________ on time. (to be)
3. ________ he ________ us know if we made a mistake? (to let)
4. I ________ not _______ to have a party if you were not there. (to want)
5. If you knew more about her, you ________________ your opinion.
6. ________ you ________ pizza if you did not like it? (to order)
7. ________ they not ________ to come if we asked them? (to agree)
8. We ________ not _________ a car unless we were insured. (to drive)
8. Complete the following sentences, using the indicated verbs in the Perfect conjugation with would. For example:
If it had rained, I ________________ at home. (to stay)
If it had rained, I would have stayed at home.
_____ you _________ with us if we had asked you? (to come)
Would you have come with us if we had asked you?
If he had hurried, he _____ not ___________ the bus. (to miss)
If he had hurried, he would not have missed the bus.
_____ she not __________ if she had seen us? (to wave)
Would she not have waved if she had seen us?
1. If he had arrived late, ________ we ______________ without him?
2. If they had felt thirsty, ________ they not _____________ the lemonade? (to drink)
3. If we had been here, we _______ not ______________ the fireworks.
4. If his office had called, _______ he not _______________ to work?
5. She _______ not _______________ early if she had not had a good reason. (to leave)
6. If they had searched more carefully, they _____________________ the watch sooner. (to find)
7. If you had visited Rome, _______ you ____________ to the opera? (to go)
8. She ______________________ down if she had been tired. (to lie)
9. The following statements contain false or improbable conditions.
Paying attention to the underlined adverbs indicating time, complete
the following sentences, using the indicated verbs in the appropriate
conjugations with would. use the Simple conjugation for actions pertaining to the present or the future, and use the Perfect conjugation for actions pertaining to the past. For example:
If you came with us now, you _________ everything. (to see)
If you came with us now, you would see everything.
_____ he __________ us yesterday if we had slept in? (to wake)
Would he have woken us yesterday if we had slept in?
1. If he were here now he _______ not ___________ to help us.
2. I ___________________ the book last week if I had known you wanted it. (to finish)
3. ______ you ______________ to him last night if you had seen him? (to speak)
4. If they were old enough, they __________________ the contest next week. (to enter)
5. ______ she not ____________ a vacation now if she had more time? (to take)
6. If he had sent a message, we ______________________ it two days ago. (to receive)
7. I ____________________ it if you came with me now. (to appreciate)
8. ______ she not ________ grateful if we offered to help her tomorrow? (to be)
9. ______ he _____________ yesterday if he had entered the race? (to win)
10. _______ they not __________________ more books last month if they had noticed the stock was low? (to order)
11. _______ she not ___________ us now if she knew where we lived? (to visit)
12. _______ you _________________ cucumbers yesterday if they had been on sale? (to buy)
10. For each of the following sentences, complete the subordinate clause with the Simple Past Subjunctive of the verb shown in brackets. For example:
If he ____ in town, he would call us. (to be)
If he were in town, he would call us.
Would you go to the party if you ________ an invitation? (to receive)
Would you go to the party if you received an invitation?
If he ___ not ____ his work, he would find another job. (to like)
If he did not like his work, he would find another job.
1. If he ________ rich, he would travel. (to be)
2. _________ I not anxious to meet him, I would stay at home. (to be)
3. He would have more free time if he ______ not _________ so hard.
4. If I _________ a car, I would visit Cape Breton. (to have)
5. We would take the bus if it _________ to snow. (to begin)
6. If you _________ him, you would surely recognize him. (to see)
7. I would not confide in him if I _______ not _________ him. (to trust)
8. If we _______ not _________ time, we would let you know. (to have)
9. If he _____________ an expedition, I would certainly join it.
10. I would not worry about it if I _________ you. (to be)
11. For each of the following sentences, complete the subordinate clause with the Past Perfect Subjunctive of the verb shown in brackets. For example:
If I __________ him to do it, he would have obeyed me. (to order)
If I had ordered him to do it, he would have obeyed me.
Had it not ______ yesterday, we would have raked the leaves. (to snow)
Had it not snowed yesterday, we would have raked the leaves.
1. I would not have got lost if I ______________ the map. (to study)
2. _______ he _________ at home, we would have visited him. (to be)
3. We would have invited him if we ________________ he would come.
4. He would have applied for the job if he _______________ the
advertisement. (to see)
5. We would not have ordered tea, ______ we __________ how late it was. (to know)
6. ______ it not __________, they would have held the party in the park. (to rain)
7. We would have agreed with you if we _________________ what you meant. (to understand)
8. If you _____________ salt on the steps, they would not have been so slippery. (to put)
9. ______ he ___________ to us, we would have known when to expect him.
10. If he ________________ to take the course, he would have had to work hard. (to choose)
12. The following statements contain false or improbable conditions.
Paying attention to the underlined adverbs indicating time, complete the subordinate clauses with the correct forms of the verbs shown in brackets. Use the Simple Past Subjunctive for actions pertaining to the present or the future, and use the Past Perfect Subjunctive for actions pertaining to the past. For example:
If she ____ here now, she would be admiring the rose bushes. (to be)
If she were here now, she would be admiring the rose bushes.
___ he ______ here last week, we would have met him. (to stay)
Had he stayed here last week, we would have met him.
1. If he _________ here now, we would ask his opinion. (to be)
2. We would have forgotten our tickets last night, if she ____not ________ us. (to remind)
3. _____ I ________ earlier, I would have arrived on time yesterday. (to leave)
4. Would you visit Spain next summer, if you _________ enough money? (to have)
5. If it _________________ yesterday, we would not need to water the lawn. (to rain)
6. If he _________ you last Wednesday, he would have asked your advice. (to see)
7. If they __________ to leave now, they would need special permission. (to want)
8. _____ they _________ of the concert yesterday, they would have arranged to go. (to know)
9. Would you not have stayed longer last week, if you ___________ able to? (to be)
10. If they ____________ the letter tomorrow, they would receive an answer in two weeks. (to write)
11. If he _____________ the book now, he would enjoy it. (to read)
12. If we _____________ more attention yesterday, we would know what time to be there. (to pay)
13. Change each of the following sentences from a statement containing a probable condition to a statement containing a false or improbable condition. Following the model of the examples, change the underlined verb in the subordinate clause from the Simple Present Indicative to the Simple Past Subjunctive; and change the underlined verb in the main clause from the Simple Future to the Simple conjugation with would. For example:
If she is angry, she will scold us.
If she were angry, she would scold us.
If he wins, we will congratulate him.
If he won, we would congratulate him.
They will join us, if we send them a message.
They would join us, if we sent them a message.
1. If they want to see you, they will come to the party.
2. If he is curious, he will ask what we are doing.
3. She will help us, if she has time.
4. If they work hard, they will succeed.
5. If I find the culprits, I will teach them a lesson.
6. If she recognizes us, she will wave.
7. They will treat you well, if you are honest with them.
8. If she likes you, she will tell you.
9. If he is ready, we will invite him to come.
10. If they see me, they will want to speak to me.
14. Complete the following sentences by filling in the blanks with the Imperative form of the verbs shown in brackets. For example:
____ the door. (to open)
Open the door.
Don't ______ to come. (to forget)
Don't forget to come.
1. Don't __________ out late. (to stay)
2. Please _________ ready on time. (to be)
3. Don't ___________ about that. (to worry)
4. _________ your own business! (to mind)
5. _________ careful not to trip. (to be)
6. Do not ____________ everything you hear. (to believe)
7. Always ___________ both ways before crossing the street. (to look)
8. You __________ here while I go into the store. (to wait)
9. __________ me! (to excuse)
10. _________ me a postcard if you have time. (to send)
ANSWERS TO THE EXERCISES for Chapter 9|
Answers to Exercise 1:
1. be 2. open 3. leave 4. accompany 5. fly 6. be 7. take
8. be 9. remain 10. find 11. learn 12. complete
Answers to Exercise 2:
1. had, lost 2. had, forgotten 3. had shown 4. had given
5. had snowed 6. had, opened 7. had heard 8. had known
Answers to Exercise 3:
1. were 2. were 3. knew 4. wanted 5. felt 6. were 7. were
Answers to Exercise 4:
1. would make 2. would help 3. would come 4. would hurry
5. would open 6. would wait 7. would write 8. would join
Answers to Exercise 5:
1. were 2. had been 3. would come 4. had left 5. would come
6. had arrived 7. would visit 8. were 9. had helped 10. were
11. would win 12. had made 13. were 14. were 15. would telephone
Answers to Exercise 6:
1. Were he here, he would lend us his car.
2. Had I remembered their address, I would have sent them a card.
3. Were we not waiting for a telephone call, we would go downtown.
4. Had they recognized her, they would have spoken to her.
5. Had I been intending to go shopping, I would have let you know.
6. Had you seen the movie, you would have liked it.
7. Were it not snowing, we would go out.
8. Had he been shoveling the walk, we would have seen him.
Answers to Exercise 7:
1. would, stop 2. would, be 3. Would, let 4. would, want
5. would change 6. Would, order 7. Would, agree 8. would, drive
Answers to Exercise 8:
1. would, have begun 2. would, have drunk 3. would, have missed
4. would, have returned 5. would, have left 6. would have found
7. would, have gone 8. would have lain
Answers to Exercise 9:
1. would, hesitate 2. would have finished 3. Would, have spoken
4. would enter 5. Would, take 6. would have received 7. would appreciate 8. Would, be 9. Would, have won 10. Would, have ordered 11. Would, visit 12. Would, have bought
Answers to Exercise 10:
1. were 2. Were 3. did, work 4. had 5. began 6. saw 7. did, trust
8. did, have 9. organized 10. were
Answers to Exercise 11:
1. had studied 2. Had, been 3. had thought 4. had seen
5. had, known 6. Had, rained 7. had understood 8. had put
9. Had, written 10. had chosen
Answers to Exercise 12:
1. were 2. had, reminded 3. Had, left 4. had 5. had rained 6. had seen 7. wanted 8. Had, known 9. had been 10. wrote 11. read 12. had paid
Answers to Exercise 13:
1. If they wanted to see you, they would come to the party. 2. If he were curious, he would ask what we are doing.
3. She would help us, if she had time.
4. If they worked hard, they would succeed.
5. If I found the culprits, I would teach them a lesson.
6. If she recognized us, she would wave.
7. They would treat you well, if you were honest with them.
8. If she liked you, she would tell you.
9. If he were ready, we would invite him to come.
10. If they saw me, they would want to speak to me.
Answers to Exercise 14:
1. stay 2. be 3. worry 4. Mind 5. Be 6. believe 7. look
8. wait 9. Excuse 10. Send